Saturday, January 27, 2007

Morning Fuel


I like my white chocolate mocha every morning. I can give up beer/booze and food easier than my mocha. I'm an addict and I like it.

Being an addict sometimes causes me to take what I can get, when I can get it.

I recently ran out of coffee beans. I was at X-mart and took a stroll down the coffee/soda isle. Feeling weak and fuzzy from withdrawal, I grabbed a big bag of cheap coffee beans. I swear I felt a tiny surge just knowing I had "the beans" in my cart. I immediately went to the cashier, paid for my stash and went directly home.

Leaving everything else I had just purchased in the bags and in my truck, I grabbed the beans and went into the kitchen. Edgy with anticipation, I ground the beans. The sound sent comforting waves through my brain. I brewed the coffee, steamed the milk to a luscious froth. It was ready, I drank. It did the job. I continued using the cheap beans from X-mart. I got used to them, they became normal, even good.

Then Bike Guy gave me a bag of this coffee for Christmas. The first thing I noticed, even before opening the bag, was the aroma. Ohhh it was goood. And next the color of the beans, deep, dark and oily. I ground and brewed and drank.

Clarity came within seconds. I had sunk very low....I had been drinking anorexic coffee.....pale, dry, small beans, no aroma, not much flavor.

I have pulled myself out of the spent, soggy coffee-ground strewn gutter and am now back to coffee that is worthy of my addiction.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I love white chocolate mochas too, but I don't think I could give up my evening beer or glass of wine! I want my cake and eat it too!

Michelle said...

The thought of giving up mocha's, beer/cocktails and peanut butter fudge for the "health" benefits crosses my mind occasionally....but that's about as far as it gets - so I too, continue to have my mochas/alcohol and sweets. It keeps me mentally healthy, if nothing else :)

Kristy said...

Exactly, for sanity purposes.

Funny, I noticed my profile picture is taken while barrel wine tasting. hmm...

My husband and I stopped drinking for a month once after drinking to excess at a New Year's Eve party. We spent all of New Year's Day morning promising to never drink again.

I try hard not to indulge too much on sweets and bread, I tend to blow up like a balloon. I treasure them only in small amounts.

bikingbrady said...

Sweetness...BIG RING COFFEE...I had never heard of it, but I'm all for it! Thanks for the post (and hello from South Dakota..the OTHER frozen tundra).

PoconoMom said...

you totally need to try dunkin donuts raspberry white hot chocolate then.

Michelle said...

raspberry white hot chocolate...sounds delish! We don't have Dunkin Donuts in Alaska. We are on the EDGE of civilization