Sunday, August 21, 2005

1st Entry

I'm new to this blogging thing, let's hope I get it right.

I am a late 30's something married lady with a couple of kids. I am starting this to keep track of my fight against MS, which is like a monster or dark shadow that follows me around and rears up and smacks me sometimes.

I don't want this to be a downer, but a motivator. For myself and any other's who read this.

The monster attacked me about 10 years ago, hard and heavy. It took a very, very long time to recover from that attack. I was told not to excercise or do anything that raised my body heat or it could cause an attack. After years of just being seditary, I felt I was getting frail and wasting away and would die early just from being so fragile. That is SOO NOT ME.

I joined Curves, yes, Curves. Not because of I was overweight, like it's avertised for, but because it was as "safe" place, not like gym atmosphere with all these athletes flexing. Also I was able to do the machines, barely at 1st, but quickly gained strength, physically which lead to more self confidence.

I woke up one day after a dr's visit and decided I was going to RUN. I was no longer going to live in fear of MS and I was going this out of rebellion. I bought a treadmill that day and my life has not been the same since. My poor husband, he thought this was going to become a place to hang my clothes off, but I suprised him, myself and everyone who knows me. I ran my 1st 5k (3.1 miles) 4 months later. It was very emotional to cross the finish line. I wasn't fast at all, but I did it. I remember when I could barely walk, move, looked like a drunk because I lost my coordination and slurred speech. It was a BIG DEAL in my life.

I continue to run, have now added bicycling to running and just joined a gym to get some upper body strength going. I still fight the monster, this last month has been a battle and I even lost vision for a short time.

So here is my story, lived and written in defiance of MS.

Live is Good,
Aspen

2 comments:

Paddle Out for Whales said...

I think it's great what you have done! Although its nothing compared to what you have to go through in life- I refuse to let my injury take over my life. I used to be active but due to a knee injury all I am capable of is walking. I used to be a dancer, now I can't even run! They are unable to fix my knee. I refuse to give in to it. I went through a phase where I gave up everything. Then one day I woke up and said to myself I'm not going to let this rule my life. If I want to do aerobics- i will go to an aerobics class. If it means being in pain the next day- so be it. I will keep visiting your blog.

Michelle said...

Thanks Frency, Everyone has their own barriers, since mine seems to come and go, it's no bigger than what you have to gone through everyday with your knee. We deal with it however we can...:)