Monday, May 26, 2008

It's Still Cold

The weather is cold...COLD! My morning commutes are cold...mid 30's, not counting wind chill. I am still wearing my cold weather clothing, gloves and helmet liner, which still haven't been warm enough some mornings.


The afternoons sort of reach up to 60, add the wind chill and it drops back down to 40 degrees. Some brave leaves have come out of the trees but some are still waiting for warmth before they make their appearance.


It snowed on the mountains this weekend. Here is a sunset shot taken at 11:30 pm last night.


I finally filled up my gas tank and was shocked that gas is now $4.06. It's still climbing, I'm told.


The state maintained bike path I ride on is covered with an inch or more of road sand. State maintained means it not maintained at all. I called the Dept of Transportation last week, only to be blown off, just like every year. So tomorrow, it's it's not swept off, I will send off my annual email to the director, just like I have done for the last 3 years. Every time I email the director, the path is cleaned off the very next day. I just wish the state would figure it out, especially with the high gas prices, there are a lot more people riding bikes.


Highlights of last week's commute: The mailman squirted me with a lawn sprinkler as I was riding past, he was moving it and didn't know I was riding on the path right next to him. Wet legs on a cold morning...but it was sort of funny, gave me a chuckle. After a few years of no corners on the sidewalks/bike paths the City of Wasilla is FINALLY putting in the corners! They were ripped out awhile back in order to put up new street lights and never replaced until now. It's really nice that the sidewalk/path doesn't just end with a 4 inch drop offs anymore. I see 2 elderly gentlemen walking their dog every morning...but I don't think they have ever seen me even one time. They are always looking down at the dog...as if waiting for it to do it's thing.


I bought my daughter a bike and a kid trailer for the baby. I'm fixing up her old bike for her husband so they will all be ready to ride. Anchorage has a lot of nice (maintained) paths they are close to. I think they can put the baby in her car seat and put it in the trailer. It would be great if they got into riding.


I'm not digging my new job right now.


Capt'n Balance surprised me with a way early birthday present - bicycle bathrobe and pj's. He says it's an early gift but I really think it is related to a motorcycle that is just sitting in the barn.


I have started a new batch of beer today, a red ale. I'm still drinking the Whiter Shade of Pale Ale (REALLY GOOD), slowly, so it will last. I have a honey pale ale lagering and the red ale fermenting. I have a smack pack of wheat yeast growing and will start a bath of german Hef in a day or 2 when the smack pack is ready.


We have been watching "The Alaska Experiment" occasionally. It sort of pisses me off. Especially when these fools decided to hike 40 miles through the wilderness in 4 days, in the winter. They run out of food, barely make it and now will rely of the others to feed them and supply them with enough food to get back to their own cabin. We are just astounded that some will not go outside to relieve themselves, or figure out how to store food when it's 30 something degrees outside, or even how to get water. Oh well. Put me in a desert situation and I would be in major trouble.


I hope everyone had a great Memorial holiday - send warm thoughts my way!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So, I guess I had better get to work and come up with names for the Red and the Honey ale! :^)
Glad your able to commute despite the cold and snow. Can't say that I'm jealous of your weather!
Wishing you warmth and sunshine.

Erin Alaska said...

Warm thoughtful wishes up to ya...
-Namaste

Michelle said...

the warm thoughts must be working - Thank you! Today could be called warm...at least it could be called "not as cold". Too bad I had to spend the entire day in a windowless conference room...7 hrs...no break. UGH.

Yep, I need more names: the pale ale with honey, the red ale and I started a batch of German hef..no blue moon clone.

Unknown said...

Okay, here is my first shot at them.
Red Ale - Weathe(red) Ale. Might be a copyright infringement, but what the hell! Or maybe a western theme: Red-eye Ale. Or a music theme: Electric Church Red House Ale (Jimi Hendrix).
Honey Ale - Bee Sting Ale. Or Milk n' Honey Ale. Ah, I have it: Pablo Honey Ale. Once again, a copyright infringement, but what do you care, right? :^)
I will need to spend some more time on the German Hef.