Saturday, September 24, 2005

RIP IT, DUDE!!!




I have survived the black streaks down the sides of my head, although it's STILL not the way it was. As Frenchy so profoundly stated in the reply, I am also a idoit when it comes to hairdressers. Why is it that I also don't just say "you did a crappy job"? Maybe because we are so helpless feeling when we are in the hairdressers chair; we can't move our arms because they are stuck under a cape which is strapped tightly around our necks, we look rather unattractive with goop in our hair that is covered with foil, and the hairdress is standing over us with very, very sharp, pointed sissors which could poke an eye out...we are totally at their mercy. They are HAIR NAZI's, in total control, because if you're like me, there's not much you can do with your hair and have to rely on the hairdresser not to look like Mortica...

I met up with the Bike Guy! He is soo awesome, he showed me how to fix a flat on a road tire and a mountain bike tire. He was asking how my road riding was going, I told him my wrists were hurting after about 5 miles. I had my bike with me so we brought it in and he determined there was an angle to the bar that turned my wrists out just a bit. He took of my bars, put on some new ones, also moved the grips inward so I will be FASTER. He also adjusted my seat. All of that and didn't charge me a penny! Went for a 10 mile ride on my lunch break a few days later; NO PAIN!! What a difference! He said he would also give me pointers on winter riding, there are places you can ride in the winter that you can't go in the summer because it's too wet. Bike Guy, You are awesome! I think I'm becoming a bike junkie...

My son and I went on a mountain bike ride today up to Hatcher's Pass again. We went on a different trail this time, it was a better one than Archangel trail. We road in about 5 mile, mostly on a uphill. The weather was looking pretty cloudy and stormy but it was perfect when we got there. Not sunny, but not pelting rain or windy. Just overcase with little spits of rain and hail now and then. There is snow up there now, but it was above us, so we were good. We went through mud, water, rocks, sand...gotta love being mud splattered. I fell 1 time, there are some wooden planks on the trail in some of the deeper wet parts. The planks are wet = slippery. My bike slid sideways, I ended up with my foot in the water and landed in mud and bushes. Not hurt really except where my seat horn hit my hip. Turned my seat a bit, but that's an easy fix, once I was able to extract myself from the bike and mud and vegatation. Then upward we went. We were riding alongside a small river, it was a beautiful sight. Snowy peaks, fall colored vegatation, river, eagle hanging on the breeze overhead. The ride up is such a workout, we had to stop just to catch our breath before going on. The ride down is such a rush, it makes the ride up worth it! I'm getting better at going over the rocks, been practicing on pulling up on the bars, but still staying in control. I think I am going to look into getting disk brakes, I have rim brakes and they grind and cause resistance when they get mucked up with mud and sand. My son has disk brakes and doesn't have that problem.
After we got back to the truck, we drove higher up the mountain to the snow. I let my son ride down while I followed him in the truck. We are talking DOWN when I say I let him ride down. There were some snowboarder type guys watching us and cheering my son on with "RIP IT, DUDE!" My son had to promise to stay in control and not go too fast.

So now I am tired, a good tired. Thank you God that I am able to ride!

No comments: