Saturday, January 12, 2008


We went up to Hatcher's Pass today for the Winter Trail Day. There was a bike Slalom time trial race put on by the Valley Hiker's and Bikers but I didn't get there in time to sign up and ride in the race. I did catch the last few riders at the end of the race, just in time to see a guy come down on a unicycle. We dropped Bike Boy off at the top of the mountain and he snowboarded down to where we were the bike race was. Capt'n Balance and I rode the course after the race was finished. .
Temps were pretty cold, it was about 12 below 0 at my house, warmer up there in the mountains but still cold enough that I put on my balaclava after 30 minutes because my face was freezing. Then everything was great. We had to walk the bikes up to the top of the course, a fairly steep climb, sucking in big air gulps which can be hard work in these temps - frigid air irritating the throat or warm, but not enough, air through the balaclava. But the ride down was all fun.

Now I'm home, full of food and ready for a cocktail, nicely worn out and happy.

4 comments:

Karen Travels said...

Hey Michelle! I have been missing you! My brother's g-friend got me an Alaska book for Christmas and Hatcher Pass was mentioned, so I am glad I now have pictures to go along!

My first application is almost ready to be shipped off, waiting for references...it goes to 501 N. Gulkana in Palmer!

My birthday is not actually until the 21st...but I like to celebrate all month!!

I hope you are feeling better!

Unknown said...

Wow; 12 below 0? All appendages are still attached?
I have only seen temps like that here in the U.P. when my brothers were in college at MTU. Could not figure out what was fun about going to school there! :^)
Anyway, looks like you had fun and a good excuse for a "hot" toddy!

amidnightrider said...

I though I liked riding in the winter, but I guess we don't really experience winter around here when one looks at the big picture. Below 20 is fridgid in my hood.

Michelle said...

The colder it is, the prettier everything gets, pink and peachy skies, glittery snow. It's all in learning how to dress for the weather. And then just doing it. And then the toddy after. It's all good.